Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Soup--The Ultimate Fast Food

For a long time I thought of soup as something that took hours to cook. Not so--soup is one of the easiest, quickest meals to throw together--a true fast food! And you really can improvise easily, substituting ingredients. Tonight when I got home about 6:00, Greenling.com had not delivered my tub o' produce so I was stuck with just whatever I had on hand--which turned out to be two cans of cannellini beans and some swiss chard that had been in the fridge a week but still looked pretty good. I checked a couple of cookbooks and web sites for recipes and of course didn't have everything for any recipe so I fused a couple of the recipes to make....

Swiss Chard and Bean Soup
2 T. olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 good sized bunch swiss chard, rough chopped
2 cans cannellini beans
1/3 c. arborio rice
Healthy sprinkle of Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 tsp salt)
1 qt. container of Imagine "No Chicken" Broth

Cook chard until just tender in 1-2 c. water; drain, reserving liquid. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a good sized pot.  Add beans (drain first), rice, liquid from chard, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper and the broth. Cook about 15-20 minutes until rice is tender; add chard and cook a minute more. To serve, drizzle with balsamic vinegar or sprinkle with parmesan if you want dairy.

Note: Instead of Italian seasoning you could use oregano and rosemary--whatever you have on hand. I love the little boxes of frozen herbs that you can use as you need. I think they are better than dried without the waste that sometimes happens with fresh herbs if you don't use them right away.













No comments:

Post a Comment